23 May 2012

My highlight from Milan: Ermenegildo Zegna FW12

EZegna1 Ermenegildo Zegna was my the first show on my first day in Milan back in January. I had arrived very diligently the day before to make sure I was there for the show at 10am. But I did not know about the taxi strike. My friend and I ended up having to walk in the gelid Milanese early hours to catch a tram. And so, like that, we missed the show. Luckily, thanks to a very kind (and cool) PR, we were told we could attend the show for the buyers right after.
Milan was extremely chic, even in the cold. Which is part of the reason why I loved this collection so much. The space felt so homey, with a screen fireplace blazing along the room. It was like getting back to your chalet in the Alps for a spot of après ski.
The clothes were simply perfect – for me anyway. Checked flannel suits, cashmere turtle necks worn under shirts, chunky knits. I just had this image in my head of an elegant business ban who flees the city on a weekend and, while he tries to shake off his formal attire he can't just quite do it entirely so he mixes it with more casual garments – the modern and the classic come together.
I was instantly in love with a look – a subtly checked three-piece brown suit worn with a dark chambray shirt and finished up with a brown turtle neck. The shoes and gloves were also a highlight. A lace-up, a desert boot, a monk-strap shoe with a twist: double light stitching on the sole or a chic leather fringe.
EZegna2 I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that, all of a sudden, eveningwear started to come down the runway. This, to me, was the wittiest part of the collection because it is even harder to bring the casual and the formal together for evening. I was in love with the (alpaca?) double-chested blazer worn with a white shirt and black turtle neck – I see myself dresses like this at home drinking whiskey on my own. I also loved the perfectly cropped textured trousers and the (!!) quilted smoking slippers.
After so many seasons keeping to the classics it looks like Ermenegildo has taken a few tips from his younger brother Z Zegna but let's remember that even at looking cool experience is a key factor.
EZegna3
Style.com
Take a look at my video of the finale below. Please excuse my poor filming skills – I was still cold!

No comments: