09 August 2012

Frank Loves: Valentino SS13

ValentinoSS13shoes
Courtesy of Valentino
When it comes to menswear it is a very hard thing to combine the trendy and the classic, the passing and the timeless. But Valentino has managed to strike a perfect balance between the two in the last couple of seasons.
I am still in awe of the SS13 collection. The colour palette was right up my street – khaki, beige, mossy green, camouflage and dashes of denim blues. And so were the cuts – slim suits with jackets falling just below the waist, trousers cropped at the perfect length, untucked modern and crisp shirts.
Thinking of it, the reason why I love so much what the brand is doing is how they've positioned it right next to Balenciaga and Céline. I am a sucker for new materials and techniques and a contemporary and timeless aesthetic.
I must confess that, as it often happens to me, I was most infatuated with the shoes. For SS13 Valentino has adopted the popular shape of the New Balance 574 – another sign of how much in touch the bran dis with what is happening in menswear. They've taken the shape and completely redesigned it with different combinations of leather, suede and nylon in colours and prints to go with the clothing. My favourite touch is the strip of studs across the heel that connects them to the womenswear line – remember this shoe? Just like Louboutin did with his red soles, Valentino is indulging men with those little details that make women happy and that we've missed out on for a long time.

ValentinoSS13
Style.com

No comments: