29 December 2011

Dolce & Gabbana takes on Cinema Italiano for the SS12 campaign

DG PE 12_progetto uomo.indd
Courtesy of Dolce & Gabbana
I have been fascinated with Dolce & Gabbana ads for years. I remember I was especially obsessed a while back when I was first getting into fashion. It was right around the time when Steven Klein shot a lot of their campaigns.
It's funny how their aesthetic has evolved over the last few years sort of alongside mine. They started working more and more with Mario Vivanco and Giampaolo Sgura and adopting a more natural style that went back to Domenico and Stefano's Southern Italian roots.
For their SS12 menswear campaign they have once again taken inspiration in Italian cinema, something that they do so well. You might remember their FW10 collection, one of my favourite from the last few years, where they took inspiration from Baarìa, a film about post World War 2 Southern Italy. This time, for the upcoming season, they have focused on a less serious side of cinema. The scenes shot by Mario Vivanco capture moments like a baptism, a Sunday family meal, the courting of the village beauty or a kiss on the docks. The designers have also chosen real actors such as Giuseppe Fiorello, Francesco Sciana, Thomas Trabacchi or Chiara Francini, who Vivanco beautifully shot in Portofino back in October.
I was sad to hear that last season was the last one for D&G and I was even sadder to be invited to the show and not being able to make it but I have a feeling that this choice is only going to make their mainline brand even better. I am all over Dolce & Gabbana trouser shorts for SS12!
DG PE 12_progetto uomo.indd
DG PE 12_progetto uomo.indd
Courtesy of Dolce & Gabbana

No comments: