12 December 2011

Christmas Wishlist: The Montblanc Meisterstück

Wishlist3-Montblanc pen
Courtesy of Montblanc
If five years ago someone had come up to me and told me I was going to get a pen for Christmas I would have cursed them inside. A fountain pen is, like whiskey, a thing you can only appreciate with age and wisdom. I don't know if this is normal for a young man getting closer to his mid twenties but I am beginning to want fewer and fewer things but make sure that what I get is excellent.
My dad is the owner of one of these incredible Montblanc pens. I remember my mum bought it for him years and years ago as a (I think) birthday present. Even since then he's taken good care of it. It's the pen with which he signs contracts, important letters and the like. I guess observing this over the years (I was, of course, not allowed to use the pen) contributed to my wanting my own one.
I would have to carefully choose the exact model and design I'd like. My dad's is a black roller pen model with a sort of silver grid –something very similar to this. And so I wonder whether the iconic Meisterstrück fountain pen, which celebrates its 87th anniversary, is the one for me.

Each Meisterstrück has a 18 K hand-ground gold nib with platinum inlay, three gold-plated rings, gold-plated clip and deep black precious resin barrel make this luxurious writing instrument a legend among fountain pens. The white star at the top of the pen represents the snow-covered summit of Europe’s highest mountain, Mont Blanc, which height “4810” is engraved on the pen itself.
Do watch the beautiful video below. I was amazed by the time, care and craftsmanship that go into every single pen. This only makes me want a Montblanc pen even more!

No comments: